Amasa Stone Window
by John LaFarge
Titled “Benevolence,” this window was installed in 1885 in memory of Amasa Stone (1818-1883). Amasa Stone abundantly donated his services and his money to Old Stone and to Cleveland. The window was designed by John LaFarge and was a gift of the Stone family. In 2000, the window was restored by Conrad Schmitt Studios.
Interesting trivia: Amasa Stone’s niece, Emma Raymond, was the first woman to be elected Elder at Old Stone when the Presbyterian Church permitted women to be ordained to that office. She came to live with Amasa Stone when she was orphaned at the age of 14. She was very close to Flora Stone Mather, daughter of Amasa Stone.
"The Recording Angel”
by Louis Comfort Tiffany
“The Recording Angel,” is a memorial to Samuel Williamson Jr. (1808-1884) and the gift of the Williamson family. It was designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany and installed in 1885. Many generations of the Williamson family were active at Old Stone. Samuel Williamson was one of the founders. Samuel Williamson Jr., a lawyer, was a partner of Leonard Case Sr. and, at the time of his death, president of Society for Savings. His son, Samuel E. Williamson, was the main mover to retain the Church on Public Square after the fire of 1884.
“Christ Blessing Little Children”
by J. and R. Lamb
The Clark Memorial Window was given by Mrs. Washington Tyler in memory of her parents, James F. Clark (1809-1884) and Eliza A. Clark (1815-1894). The subject is “Christ Blessing Little Children: The Memory of the Just Is Blessed.” It was designed by J. and R. Lamb and installed in 1920. The Clarks lived in a mansion on Euclid Avenue and made many donations to Old Stone. Mrs. Clark gave the baptismal font and also left the first large gift of endowment ($75,000) to the church.
“Beside the Still Water”
by Louis Comfort Tiffany
“Beside the Still Water” was given in 1915 in memory of Samuel A. Raymond by his family. It was designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany. The subject was taken from the Twenty-third Psalm, a favorite of the family. In the Church’s 1916 yearbook, Pastor Livingston Fewsmith wrote that the window “as a work of art is perfect” and that it “quiets our hearts as we gaze upon it.”
“The Sower” (1930) by Louis Comfort Tiffany
The Hall Memorial Window was installed by the Tiffany Studio in January 1930. It was given in memory of Jennie Lyon Hall (1855-1915) and Lucien B. Hall (1848-1925) by their daughter, Mrs. George S. Case. “The Sower” remembers Mr. and Mrs. Hall in a fitting manner. Mr. Hall served for twenty-six years as elder and trustee during the pastorate of Dr. Hiram C. Haydn and Dr. Andrew B. Meldrum. Mrs. Hall served as treasurer of the Frances Goodrich Society and the Women’s Society. She was a member of the Sisters-in-Charge and gave help wherever needed.
“I Am the Resurrection and the Life” (1930) by Louis Comfort Tiffany
The Cogswell Memorial Window was installed by the Tiffany Studios in November 1930. “The Resurrection” is a loving tribute to James H. Cogswell (1849-1921) from his wife, Elizabeth Cogswell. James Huntington Cogswell had been a loyal and devoted member of Old Stone for more than fifty years.
“Paul’s Conversion on the Damascus Road” (1967) by Nobis Studios
In 1967, the Mulhall family donated the Church’s fourth stained-glass window on the Ontario Street side. The window was built by Nobis Studios in North Canton, Ohio.
Stouffer Memorial Window (1976) by Nobis Studios
The Stouffer Memorial Window was given in memory of Vernon Stouffer (1901-1974) by his family. It contains a panel depicting Cleveland landmarks associated with Mr. Stouffer, including Cleveland Stadium, Severance Hall and the Stouffer Hotel on Public Square.
Bicentennial Window (1976) by Nobis Studios
The Bicentennial Window was given by the congregation in honor of the bicentennial signing of the Declaration of Independence. The box at the bottom shows John Witherspoon signing the Declaration. He came from Scotland to start the first Presbyterian seminary in the colonies at Princeton. Being a Scot and a Presbyterian, he was very outspoken against the British crown and a strong advocate of independence. Not only was he the only clergy person to sign the Declaration, but he was extremely vocal about the British form of government and probably influenced the founding fathers to pick the Presbyterian form of government for the new infant nation rather than the British Prime Minister form. He used his pulpit to preach out against the British and for independence.
Ecumenical Window (1976) by Nobis Studios
In 1976 the last window, the Ecumenical Window, was added. It was given by the congregation to commemorate the meeting at the Vatican in 1968 between Dr. Lewis Raymond (1917-2006), senior pastor of Old Stone Church from 1958-1984, and Pope Paul VI. Dr. Raymond and his wife Peggie presented the Pope with a scroll given by the Roman Catholic community. The Raymonds traveled to Europe with an ecumenical group from Cleveland, put together by the Jewish community. The Ecumenical Window has two hands embracing, with St. Peter’s dome behind one and the tower of Old Stone behind the other. The hands represent a papal hand and a clergy hand.